Wednesday, November 25, 2009

4 Melting Away Grumpiness

I started out the day grumpy. No way around that. It was cold, rainy, and gray and all of a sudden I noticed that my waterproof boots were no longer so. I wanted to cancel, I wanted to crawl into my bed and sleep off the day. I was simply in a foul mood. I called to rain check (no pun intended) and instead of letting it go easily Armen said he'd meet me half-way and we could decide then. I agreed. As we walked uphill he made me laugh and I became more at ease, felt some of the stress disappear. Then the rain slowed. I agreed to go through with the blind walk.

In the lobby of his building he explained the rules, essentially no direct explanation of where to walk but rather direction through touch or sound, and we were off! The rain had stopped completely and there was even some blue sky visible as he tightened his scarf across his face. I linked arms with him and guided him on sidewalks littered with fallen leaves, some massed in mountains that our footsteps trundled through and some scattered across the wet cement like brush strokes on a canvas. Orange leaves clung to darkened tree trunks as we walked and the wind blew. We passed by others who barely looked up, and certainly did not act as though they found it odd to see a girl with pink hair leading a blindfolded man towering above her. We discussed the meaning of sacred spaces, and the validity of these walks and connection to the world around. I led him through an alley lush with ivy and evergreens and our footsteps echoed through the breeze. He explored an abandoned shopping cart by a telephone pole, and I marveled at how much it reminded me of a child exploring a toy. We passed by a rose bush and I led him to smell the bloom, the thorns of which he forgot about and scratched his hand upon. We reached an empty lot overgrown with weeds and tagged by a giant smiling hamburger. He leaned against the not entirely sturdy wire fence, but managed not to fall. This is where we decided to switch.

The blindfold went on.

I was surprised at how easy it was to follow his lead. Minuscule changes in his hand registered before I thought and led me to go forward or to stop. I found myself hyper aware of his hand and yet displaced from reality. I could tell when we crossed streets or went up stairs, a surprisingly fun adventure, and I could hear as people walked by. When asked if they were male or female I found that I could actually tell which, when I trusted my instincts that is. We walked down an empty street and I could feel the difference of the pavement under my feet as well as hear the wind rushing through the trees. I could feel the fall, this is when I found a sacred space of my own to return to when I need clarity. He was more adventurous than I and led me to stand on rocks, explore structures, dance around objects (by his prompting, and fumble through a hedge. We walked by an Indian restaurant and I found myself surrounded in a world of intoxicating spices, shimmering bells, and bustling city.

I felt almost weightless.

And then it was over.

This experience was like a meditation, like taking time to experience the world as it is. As certain senses fade away, others become stronger and it is like discovering parts of yourself you did not even realize that you had forgotten. From the walk I am left wondering many things, but particularly this: when I led no one noticed or paid any mind to the two of us. Yet when he led I heard many people's happy laughter. Indeed, I was told that many who passed us smiled. What made for this difference?

By the end, my foul mood melted away as the cold after drinking warm tea.

-Terri, 22, Capitol Hill, Seattle, WA.

No comments:

Post a Comment