Monday, November 30, 2009

7 Blind leading the Blinder

Why I did it I don't really know. It could have been to collect another story that I could impress some girl at a bar or on a bus or at a party with. Maybe it was because I was truly looking for some sort of spirtual experience that would rescue me from at best, a dry life of boredom and at worse hell fire. Maybe I just liked Armen alot and wanted to hang out with him, but for whatever reason when he asked me if I wanted to do a blind walk with him I said yes without hesitation. We were to meet on the Monday after Thanksgiving under a message board sign for a community college on a typical Seattle day. I arrived 15 minutes early because I was on vacation and had nothing else to do that day but meet Armen. I passed the time by reading the forth Harry Potter book, the only one I had passed over in the seven book series. I just coulden't wait to find out what would happen to Harry and Hermonie so I just watched the fourth movie, read the last chapter of the book and moved on to the fifth story. My life has since slowed down enough that I have decided that the fourth book was written for a reason and I should read it. So there I was reading Harry Potter waiting for Armen in the cold.
Armen and I had met twice before. The first time we met I read him some of my poetry and he told me about his dreams, we became friends. The second time we met Armen eloquently explained his problems with the health care system and I disagreed with him, so we argued alot. It was fun both times.
He walked across the street, right on time. I smiled and gave him a casual wave. He told me that we would each get a chance to be the blind and the blinder and that I could pick who would go first. I went first because that's the kind of guy I am. Armen blinded me at a park next to a large fountain because I like the sound of water and that's where I most prefered to be blinded. After about five minutes of being led gingerly through the park I told Armen about my time working with children who are blind. I told him that it was strange to be so out of control.
He took me to Seattle University and said we were going to have an adventure. I perked up, "whoa an adventure" I said with a grin. "Let's see if you can engage someone in conversation while your blind." Armen said.
"I dunno if I can do that without seeing, point me in the direction of people who are sitting down and are happy."
Armen never found people who were sitting down but we did find people who were happy. Pleanty of happy people, all female though. I asked one of them if she thought, me going about as a blind person was insulting to blind people. She said no. She sounded beautiful. I'm sorry I missed seeing her face.
Armen walked me deeper and deeper into the school. People opened doors for us as we went into warm, sometimes noisy sometimes quiet buildings. I know this because Armen said "Thank you" a lot. We went on an elevator. It was fun. I tried petting a puppy I couldn't see. The puppy rejected me, not letting me pet it. But it was okay because that was fun too. After about 40 minutes of walking about Armen restored my sight. I could see again. But when I opened my eyes I found my self in a part of Seattle I had never been before. I didn't know how to get back and Armen, my friend and guide was about to lose his sight for the temporary foreseeable future. Would we be lost forever? I tried heading to the first major street to get my barrings but found my self till lost. Armen frequently tripped over cracks and steps in the side walk because I was trying to figure out where I was and I'm horrible at multi tasking. Armen tock it well, he wasn't injured. After 20 minutes of walking in circles I finally told Armen where I wanted to go, a favorite coffee shop of mine. He remembered where it was from the time when he could see and offered to help me find it. So with me giving him mostly accurate discriptions of the streets and landmarks we passed Armen the blind man, led me the blinder man to his favorite coffee shop. Where we shared tea, talked about God and celebrated our sight.

Jasen Frelot, 24
Seattle Wa.
From LA, Ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment